Journalists wait outside a laboratory in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, Monday, Oct. 9, 2017. The trial of two women accused of killing the estranged half brother of North Korea's leader entered its second week Monday, with the court moving temporarily to the high-security laboratory to view evidence contaminated with VX nerve agent. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

A sensational murder trial in Malaysia brought the judge, the attorneys and the two accused killers to a top-security laboratory to continue proceedings this week.

The murder of North Korean-born Kim Jong Nam, the brother of the nation’s current leader, was committed in a public airport in February with VX nerve agent. The contaminated clothing and other evidence seized off the alleged killers could still be tainted and potentially dangerous, according to those involved in the proceedings.

The trial of Doan Thi Huong, of Vietnam, and Indonesian national Siti Aisyah moved into a high-security laboratory on Monday for about an hour to view the tainted evidence.

Last week, the VX-contaminated clothing and effects from the victim’s body were presented in court in transparent, but sealed, bags. The judge and others in the court wore masks and gloves to ensure safety.

But this week the chemical analysis experts viewed the two young females’ clothing, which also contained the deadly chemical, according to reports. The sole scientist with a doctorate in chemistry in Malaysia testified the chemical agent on the exhibits of clothing could still be active.

That government chemist testified that VX traces were found on Huong’s sweater and on clippings of her fingernails, as well as on Aisyah’s sleeveless T-shirt.

The trial of Huong, 29, and Aisyah, 25, began last week. The two young women face a mandatory death sentence, if convicted.

After an expected hour in the high-security lab to view the VX-tainted items, the proceedings moved back into the courtroom.

The surveillance footage of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Feb. 13 of this year was shown to the whole court. The blurry footage shows Kim Jong Nam enter the departures area for a coming flight, and get in a check-in line. Two blurry figures identified as the two women move in, and one allegedly grabs his face from behind, before turning and fleeing.

Prosecutors allege that the two women had smeared liquid VX on their hands before the attack.

The CCTV footage then shows the two women running off to bathrooms on other floors of the airport, all the while carefully holding their hands out to prevent poisoning themselves, prosecutors said. The two emerge from the restrooms a short while later with normal posture – after washing their hands, authorities have said.

The Malaysian expert chemist has testified that thorough hand-washing within 15 minutes of direct exposure would have saved both assailant’s lives.

Further footage shown in court shows Kim Jong Nam fall ill – and then eventually lose consciousness and lay unresponsive on a gurney, en route to emergency medical treatment.

The defense attorneys for both of the accused have argued the women were duped into thinking the attack was only a stunt for a video-prank TV show. The women believed it was only oil or pepper sauce they were smearing on a stranger’s face. Aisyah’s attorney said she had done such non-fatal stunts for payment before the killing.

Authorities have testified that four other suspects were involved in the murder: two men who smeared the VX on the females’ hands, and two others who directed the mission. All four are North Korean, said prosecutors.

Kim Jong Nam was one of the five children of Kim Jong Il, the former ruler of North Korea who died in 2011. Although the 45-year-old Kim Jong Nam was not thought to have been seeking influence in the Democratic Peoples’ Republic of Korea, South Korean agencies have said current ruler Kim Jong Un wanted his brother dead to remove any concerns over dynastic legitimacy. Kim Jong Nam had been exiled from the DPRK in 2003, and was occasionally critical of his family’s regime. He and his young brother Kim Jong Un reportedly never met each other.

The trial is expected to resume Oct. 24 with another move of the proceedings, this time to the alleged crime scene at the airport itself.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.